Wednesday, September 27, 2017

More (Less Bookish) Podcasts for Your Earballs

A few months back (it was five months back; it was in April; the older I get, the less I understand how time works), I recommended some of my favorite bookish podcasts. I've been meaning to do a follow-up post about other podcasts I love, podcasts that might not be so closely tied up in books in reading. *clutches pearls* And here it is! Other podcasts I put in my ears weekly, recommended for your very much listening pleasure:


Dear Hank and John, weekly, Tuesdays 
Hank and John are Hank Green and John Green, that is the VlogBrothers. Also, yes, that John Green, who wrote The Fault in Our Stars and has a new book coming out in a couple of weeks. They describe their show as "a comedy podcast about death where two brothers answer your questions, give you dubious advice, and bring you the week's news from Mars and AFC Wimbledon." Listeners write in with questions, sometimes silly, sometimes quite serious, and Hank and John give answers, often both silly and serious. It's funny, it's sometimes informative, it's often thoughtful, and it's just a great time. Also: news from Mars and AFC Wimbledon. Where else are you going to get that all in one package? 

Pantsuit Politics, varies, ~2x per week
Two women talk about the most pressing national political topics of recent days (and sometimes their local politics), often interviewing expert guests. They do a great job representing both the right and the left, and this is one of my go-to places to get thoughtful, careful discussion of all the news that's carving a hole in my gut. Their tag-line is "Sarah from the left. Beth from the right. No shouting. No insults. Plenty of nuance." No echo chamber here, folks.


From the Front Porch, weekly, Thursdays
Hosted by Annie Jones, the owner of independent bookstore The Bookshelf in Thomasville, Georgia, and Chris Jensen, a Bookshelf staffer, From the Front Porch provides "conversations on books, small business, and life in the South." Episode formats vary, sometimes comprising recaps of the books Annie and Chris have read in the past month, sometimes taking the form of a round-table discussion ("Love It or Loathe It") involving several staffers from the shop about a particular book, and sometimes featuring discussion and recommendations about books on a certain topic. Whatever the format, it's always a thoughtful, delightful half hour of book and bookstore talk. 

Hosts Vanessa Zoltan and Casper ter Kuile, both graduates of Harvard Divinity School, discuss the Harry Potter novels as sacred texts, looking at one chapter a week and reading that chapter through a chosen theme and through one of several spiritual practices drawn from various spiritual traditions. The podcast is a perfect blend of fun, serious, and spiritual, with most episodes calling on listeners to examine their lives and choices through the lens of the week's theme. They've gotten through HP3 at this point; I recommend starting at the beginning. I usually listen to this podcast as I'm getting ready for bed, and I find it a lovely way to close out the day.

The West Wing Weekly, weekly, Tuesdays
This is a recap and discussion show about The West Wing, hosted by Hrishikesh Hirway and Joshua Malina (who played Will Bailey on The West Wing from season four on). They go episode by episode, discussing each as viewers and fans, with some behind-the-scenes stuff from Malina, as well. They also frequently interview former cast and crew members. Fascinating stuff.


(Podcast links above take you to a web presence for each show, sometimes a website, sometimes a patreon, whevs, something associated directly with that podcast. Invariably, the best way to listen, however, is to subscribe through your podcatcher of choice. If you're looking for a new (or your first) podcatcher, your Google-fu should snag you some good recommendation lists for Iphone and Android. I use Podcast Addict. It does the thing.)


3 comments:

  1. What I need is a blog post that helps me figure out how to fit podcasts into my life. It just ain't happenin' so far, as much as some of these intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Perhaps my next post will be about how to fit podcasts into your life.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to share the HP one with my FYE students. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete