Wednesday, March 28, 2018

What to Do with Problem Books?

In the past few months, several scandals have hit the book/publishing world involving revelations about the behavior of several authors. Other writers and commentators have investigated the myriad reactions of readers to these events and the various implications they have for publishing, and I do not feel like I have anything particularly useful to add to those excellent conversations. Here I would like to talk about a very specific piece of the fallout for readers when an author suddenly feels unworthy of one's attention, but if you would like to dive into the issues themselves, here are some links:

*Sherman Alexie accused of harrassment
*Book Riot Podcast discussion of harassment allegations in children's publishing (start at minute 11:30)
*Santino Hassell accused of catfishing (NSFW: language; TW: emotional abuse)
*Riptide's Statement about Hassell
*When in Romance podcast discussion of Hassell (minute 4:45-17:05)
*The Hopeless Romantic podcast discussion of Hassell and Riptide Publishing (NSFW: language; TW: sexual and emotional abuse)

Right. Now. What do I want to talk about? It's a minor consideration in the face of an ocean of feels including disgust and disappointment toward an author, empathy for victims, distrust of aspects of the publishing industry, and personal questions for readers about how to feel about beloved texts that now seem tainted. But it's a problem I've been considering now for a couple of weeks: What will I do with books I no longer wish to own because I no longer want to have anything to do with the author? 

This particular spate of revelations has not involved any authors whose work is deeply meaningful to me personally, so I have not yet had to grapple with changing feelings about a book that means a lot to me. And I think this is a very real, very important issue. Books matter. They matter because they show us ourselves when we thought we were the only one. They matter because they show us people and worlds we otherwise might never begin to understand. They matter because they help us through difficult times. So if a book that mattered, a book that got me through something, or helped me realize something about myself, turned out to have been written by someone engaging in behavior I find reprehensible, that would make me feel some kind of way. Given the apparent prevalence of such behavior in our societies and how much I read, I suspect someday I will be writing a blog post about what that feeling turns out to be. But for today, I am wondering only about the practical. I now have some books in my possession that didn't matter much to me (in many cases which I hadn't yet had a chance to read) and which I would no longer like to own. 

My recent experiences with trying to keep my bookshelves from taking over the entire house mean that I have some go-to options for ridding myself of unwanted books. There's a nice used book store in town that will buy select used books in good condition; there's another one that will take select used books for store exchange. Our library is always in need of donations. So is the Goodwill. I have friends and family and fellow book club members I sometimes pass books on to if I have no more need for them. Supposedly there are some Little Free Libraries in town where I could drop books off for others in my community to find. All of these are great destinations for books that have served their purpose, for books I'm happy to let go out into the world and be the right book for someone else even if they are no longer the right book for me. But these seem like wrong choices for books I don't want anymore because it turns out their authors have engaged in garbage behavior I can't look past. I don't donate expired food to the food bank; I don't want to donate books that feel nasty to the library.

Practically speaking, I guess, a book is just paper and glue. I could throw them away. Better yet, I could recycle them. (Some books even have a note on the copyright page indicating that they are suitable for recycling. This note always draws me up short. No one drops their book in the recycling bin after they turn the last page, surely? There are so many better ways to "recycle" most books.) Neither of these options feels exactly appropriate either. I try not to over-romanticize books and I try not to anthropomorphize them and I try not to conflate a physical book with the flesh-and-blood human who wrote it. Dropping a novel in the trash is not tossing a human out with the garbage, but darn if I still don't feel comfy thinking about doing it. 

I haven't been able to come up with a great solution to this small problem that feels right to me. (I'm sure there are other people who would (who have) literally trashed books for these sorts of reasons, and hey, you do you. Probably there are also other people who have donated such books to the library or what have you. It isn't, after all, the donator's responsibility to look out for the donatee's sensibilities when it comes to reading material. I'm not here to judge, but *I* can't do it.) So for now, the books in question are tucked away behind other books on my shelves, their spines turned in. They get to carry on existing, but I don't have to look at them. In this case, it's an example of out of sight, very much still on my mind.

6 comments:

  1. I might stop buying books written by reprehensible living human beings, so I'm not supporting them in their actions in any way. But judging a book by its author's character gets very swampy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Much of the time I would agree. I have, after all, a fair few books in my possessions whose authors' behavior I don't love that I have no issue with holding on to and would donate without a second thought if I wanted rid of them. There's still the question of what to do with the select few where there's nothing swampy about it.

      Delete
  2. I agree! You can’t judge the entire content of a book by the things the author said or did. It’s impossible to know what the author was thinking and feeling while writing the book, and you also can’t judge an entire peron’s character based on one publicized nasty event or comment. However, if owning a particular book feels distasteful, I’m for recycling it. No one else has to read it, and you aren’t creating more garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, on the whole. Depending on the situation, some times I can't divorce the situation from the book, though. It's less about judging the book by the author's actions and more being unable to enjoy or otherwise experience a text arising from a reprehensible situation.

      Delete
  3. My thought is this: donate the book, and let it sit on the bookshelves until the dust gathers and it gets recycled anyway. Or someone wants it.

    After reading about Marion Zimmer Bradley being a child abuser I have no interest in owning or reading her books, BUT I don't feel it's my duty to keep others from reading her works if they aren't as affected by her deeds.

    Authors are human, with faults, just like their readers. Read, or read not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be a bit late and controversial in n the matter I think donating to library is a fantastic idea so that there is a public space to read, reflect, and maybe wrestle w things. Marion Zimmerman Bradley’s books changed my life; I’d rather find her work in the library and have a real and soul searching conversation about her as a person, her actions, and the messages of her writing than to throw her away (for example) or shelter myself either from hard conversation or fine writing. Call me trouble. That’s the way I roll.

    ReplyDelete