Thursday, December 14, 2017

Gratitude and Joy: Growing Up with Grandparents and Christmas Colors

Gratitude and Joy: Day 14

I am grateful for:

A Childhood with All Four Grandparents Living
We lost both of my grandfathers when I was in my early twenties, and now, well over ten years later, I sometimes still get sucker punched, seemingly out of the blue, by how much I miss them. These little grief whammies are usually short lived and followed quickly by wonderful memories of both of them. My grandmothers are still with us, and I count myself lucky beyond measure to still have them in my life. When I'm hit with those moments of grief and happy memories about my grandfathers, I'm often struck with how grateful I am that I got to grow up with all four of my grandparents living, that I got to know them all; that I got to see them interact with each other and their children and their other grandchildren; that I got to have the benefit of their kindness, love, and knowledge; and that I did not experience losing any of them as a child. I think this is somewhat rare, and it is absolutely one of the greatest blessings of my childhood.

I feel joy seeing:

Christmas Red and Green
This might just be conditioning--I mean you see enough red and green on presents for you and in moments of happiness and you're bound to associate those colors with good feelings--but I really do just love Christmasy red and green. On wrapping paper, on decorations, and most especially in nature, such as on a holly bush or mistletoe. That color combo often makes me stop short and say, "Well now, isn't that lovely."

No comments:

Post a Comment