Saturday, December 9, 2017

Gratitude and Joy: Podcasts and the RSO Holiday Pops Concert

Gratitude and Joy: Day 9

I am grateful for:

Podcasts
I debated with myself about whether this was a cheat since so many of the podcasts I listen to are part of the bookternet, and well, I already talked about that. But not all of the podcasts I listen to are about books, and what I get out of podcasts specifically isn't the same as what I get out of the bookternet generally, so here we are. Four years ago I had never listened to a podcast. Now I subscribe to a bunch, and I anticipate the days of the week based on which podcast drops on that day. My favorites are little daily treats, little highlights to my day, and they often help me get through my morning routine (and driving time) and prepare for the rest of the day. Like a favorite TV program or book, they become like friends I look forward to hanging out with once a week. In addition to entertaining me, they've also allowed me to easily expand my horizons in ways I might never have done without this format. I'm better informed about politics, science, and (definitely) the book world than I was before I started listening to them, and that's always a thing to be grateful for. 

I feel joyful at:

The Roanoke Symphony Orchestra Holiday Pops Concert
Like many local symphonies, ours has an annual pops concert in December devoted to Christmas music. We almost always go, and I can't express how much I love it. In addition to the orchestra, it always features several area choirs, and that may be part of why I love it so much. I was in choir from seventh grade through the end of college, and it was one of the single best things I ever did. I have great memories from those years, and I am always thrilled to see any choir perform. But the whole evening is always a delight: the symphony is excellent, the conductor is a hoot, and there's a bit at the end where the audience sings along through a medley of well-known carols and songs. This is the official start to the season for me, and it never fails to get me in the right spirit for Christmas.




2 comments:

  1. I have such happy memories of singing with you in chorus at school. Sadly, I haven’t been to a live concert in many years due to having a small child but I’m hoping he will soon be able to go with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 Not that I don't have many many other happy memories too, but so many of mine do seem to come from the time I spent in various choirs.

    Ooo, I bet it'll be so much fun to introduce him to such things when he's old enough!

    ReplyDelete