Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Gratitude and Joy: Reliable Heat and A Child's Christmas in Wales

Gratitude and Joy: Day 12

I am grateful for:

Reliable Heat
It doesn't hang out below freezing too much where I live now, but we usually get a snap or two of below-freezing daytime highs each winter, and it is certainly cold enough from November through March that you'd know it if you didn't have a reliable source of heat. Like hot running water, this is something I don't think about much on any given day--it's cold in the house, turn the heat up a little. But in this moment, when I did just that, I'm reminded that not everyone has this luxury, and that it is a luxury indeed, just to push a button a couple of times and get warm air. I'm grateful that our circumstances allow us to keep warm and to not have to worry about how we're going to do so. 

I feel joy watching: 

A Child's Christmas in Wales
This 1987 TV movie adaptation of Dylan Thomas's short story about Christmas in early twentieth-century Wales has been a favorite of mine since childhood. Many of my family's in-jokes come from this film ("You're sure it isn't socks?"), and it's one of the handful of movies I watch every year instead of giving a skip every once in a while. Every moment of it is a delight and a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment